Bottom Level Paint and Adhering
The next step was using some stencils and a tree stamp that I had, all with Pane’s Grey fluid acrylic. The “LUM” on the left side and the letters in the bottom lettering as well as the three trees were next. After that I tried two different adhesion methods, one for more texture with the pages rippling a bit ( I can’t help adding texture) and one for a more smooth traditional look. The first was a matte medium adhesion and pretty much drowning the paper or plastic sheets in it. Look at the upper left corner to see the area that I am talking about. Then I used traditional paper glue on the others to keep them flat. I had some issues keeping the edges down, but used basic glue under and on top of the edges to keep them down, or simply let them lift so I could play with that as time went on. After they dried I covered all the pieces that could be ruined with matte medium. Then I washed over everything with Titan Buff liquid.
A Few Steps in One Pic
There could have been a pic in between the last one and this next one, I got too into the project and forgot that I was recording it for all of you out there. Never fear though I’ll quickly walk you through it all. The next thing I did was a glaze of Red Oxide liquid acrylic but made sure to only cover about 75% of the piece. I then attached the map and some other collage pieces I had held back until now (thesaurus page and Fleur-de-lis), cover the new additions with matte medium and then did another glaze of Red Oxide again only covering 75% of the piece. At this point in small sections you can still see through to the titan buff and in other they are covered with both oxides.
At this point I grab the Sharpies. It was actually a scary time in the project, I have never written on top of art I had spent hours creating and while I knew it led to the effect I wanted it was nerve racking to start. I used black, gold, silver and red and drew the eye in the upper left, the symbol in black on the right and many phrases all throughout the canvas. Once I was satisfied with that I used the Panes Grey to create a border around the canvas to accent and mask parts of the work. I created a Panes Grey thick acrylic with some Bone Black and Ultramarine Blue to be able to produce the scratch through swirl in the mid-upper right. Then I went back to the tree stamp and using the Panes Grey liquid again I stamped two more trees on the piece. Some of my Sharpie work was lost to the point of only being hinted at by a remaining part of a few letters, thus adding to the mystery. I recreated the partial oxide and Panes Grey washes on the edges to finish. I had already signed the piece on the map so at this point it was complete!
I hope you enjoyed this little walk through and remember, mysteries are sometimes more magical than their solutions!